Friday, April 18, 2008

Beans ! Yeah !


I started cleaning out the veggie garden to get it ready for a new round of planting and found the remnants of the pole beans we had last summer. There were very dried up pods still hanging on the tee-pee, its funny I had never really noticed they were there. I knew Chloe and Blake would love to open them up and harvest them, so I called them out to the yard. They quickly went through everyone and look what we have! A huge crop of new beans to plant. This was so exciting to me...a very simple pleasure at 5pm, after a long day, to find these beans and have the kids just as exited as I was. Since I have been working with the Children at School in the garden, I have learned how much they love to not only plant seeds, but they absolutely love to go through our seed box and touch them all. They not only touch them, but they so much want to own them, take them home...hoard them almost. Today at school, we had a whole bunch of extra bean seeds and the kids wanted to have one to take home, they practically begged me....so of course I had to give them some. Then to come home and discover our own beans...how sweet ! It is just so cool to see the whole Garden experience through Children's eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool. I wonder if it's a legacy of our hunter gatherer past..you know the urge to collect and save seeds when we need them for planting ..so we can feed our tribe..hmm....