Friday, February 22, 2008

30 days ~ Day 24


This is my favorite Library....

Rosie's Calico Cupboard, is a quilt shop a little less than 2 miles from my house. They have 6 huge rooms full of fabric, in every color, design, and texture you can imagine. This picture is taken in one of my favorite sections, the 1930's feed sacks reproductions.

Both Chloe and Blake know Rosie's as "The Fabric Store", and get dragged in there regularly. I remember fondly doing the same with my mother when I was a little girl, knowing I would be getting a new dress for Easter, or a new pair of pants to wear. I find myself echoing the words of my Mother when its time to go saying "come on, lets run down to the fabric store". At that time it was Minnesota Fabric's, and it was less than a mile away from our house. I used to look at all the buttons,and trims, those were my favorite as a child.

Since Rosie's is a quilt shop, I am almost always the only younger person with Children shopping there. I do try to go there without the kids, that way I can spend hours in there, but there are times when I just have to take one of both of them, when a project requires another fabric, or more thread or we just happen to be driving by. I have never felt any warm vibes from the Ladies that work there...maybe its because every time we go we have to ask for the Bathroom key because someone has to go "you know what" it's like clockwork ! I get the feeling that they resent me for bringing my children in to shop. I make a point to talk to Chloe and Blake before hand and ask them to keep their voices down and not to run...which they do. I often wonder, don't they remember what it was like when they were Mothers to young children ? Did they take their children into the fabric store like my Mother did, and did they get the feeling they were not welcomed by the staff and sometimes even the other patrons? I find it hard to believe they always left there children home.

I actually think it is a good experience for my kids to visit the store, and they like it. They have a large trunk full of buttons where Chloe and Blake spend a lot of time. You should have seen those ladies faces the time the kids pick out a cup of buttons each to take home. Both of them took turns dropping them all over the floor while we were in line to pay. If it was not for the fact that Rosie's has the best selection of fabrics I can get a hold of lately, I think might stay away from there. I stopped by recently on my own one Sunday, and there was a Mother my age with her two young girls picking out fabric for new dresses. The girls were involved in the process, and I just wanted to hug that Mama...of course I held back, but I made sure to talk with her and her daughters about there dresses and the fabric.



In about 25 years or so...I will have this post to remind me of what these trips to this particular fabric store were like....

P.S. I know I just cheated on the One picture a day rule I made...but I could not tell you this story without showing you the button treasure chest ! Good thing I made the rules.

1 comment:

ma otter said...

I love both of your posts...love the writing...makes for a very restful cup of coffee break...and great pics, insights...